Wednesday, October 22, 2008

my sisters - my mirror

some women cut women down to less-than-size
whispering words wicked and worldly
sneaky and suspicious
dragging down
down

my sisters, they share and comfort and advise
and soften and heal and protect and
cushion the blows
and lift and
raise

my sisters sharpen their brains
and polish their souls
comb their words
reflect in their
actions

I look with pride in the power
they yield, their voices
crisp and confident
self-assured
firm

scholars and scientists
writers and mothers
wives and activists
in awe I stand

I salute your power
so poignant and poised
I'm humbled at your humility
so undeservedly unassuming

we stand as a unit
a fortress, a shield
a mirror
reflecting against
each other

5 comments:

Safiyyah said...

ya aysha!!
this post made me cry, wallah
I miss you!

May Allah increase the bond of sisterhood between all us Muslimahs!!

Bilal said...

nice blog:)

Princess said...

Lovely Blog

Nooj said...

May we forever be in the company of such inspiring, loving women thast make us proud to be muslimahs iA

I never understand what other women get from hurting one another. We have created bonds stronger than family by encouraging what is good and forbidding what is wrong, which becomes easier once you have a clan that is your strength

bb_aisha said...

I stand in awe of you