Tuesday, March 10, 2009

MySpace...OurSpace

It's sometimes only possible to value something when it is measured against its variant.
Along the lines of 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone' - albeit gone for only a weekend.

I would like to view myself as a fiercely (not in the aggressive sense but in the 'quite/very' sense) independent woman (shoutout to beyonce and the girls - throw your hands up at me). With the husband away riding the Argus this weekend, I felt a void. It wasn't a Hollywood type pining or a dysfunctional type of missing. I was missing that space ... our space. That space that allows you to speak your mind without having to give a preamble or disclaimer. That space that allows for compliments and insults to be contained within an insular capsule of acceptance - most of the time.

Now let me add that this phenomenon is not exclusive to me. A friend of mine (who would also like to view herself a a non-dependant personality) dealt with similar issues when her husband visited the middle east recently - it scared her.

It scares me too .

There is something both scary and beautiful in realising that you have grown into a space with another person. The thing about this is that it is a closed entity but it is not stifling. There is breathing space , space to grow and then to come back and enhance the core. Maybe this is what forming the 'new family' is all about.

It was reassuring to hear my husband echo these sentiments when he returned.

4 comments:

Nooj said...

Love is scary :P

Qalam said...

AH!
Ned felt the void?!
I gave him everything he needed, I thought the weekend was our time.
I slept next to him, whispered sweet nothings in the wee hours (there were only wee hours, no one seemd to want to sleep), all of it.
and I just wasn't enough...im broken.
(btw, he spoke NON STOP from 5pm on friday when I met him till 6am Monday when we left. NON STOP, even on the frikking race, chatterchatterchaetter.no more bio plus)

Ned said...

AAaahh!

So sweet!

I only spoke non-STOP to fill the void!

Shafinaaz Hassim said...

Hey lady;

this was very beautiful to read...

here's to extensions of self, and to love's boundlessness in so many ways!

s