Sunday, May 18, 2008

to sleep ... during a paediatrics call

i sit awake , no choice of mine
the moans of labour not far behind
the seductive promise of sleep so deluding
i see newborns , but I'm not brooding

I'll give a leg... ok maybe a toe,
for a warm water bottle, a blanket to throw,
over my cold self, my husband nearby.
on second thought.. I'll give a thigh.

I wait to be called,
rushed into action.
perhaps an emergency ...
faecal impaction?

I'm tried...
it's late
I write such nonsense
I've got to go
(can't even find anything to rhyme with nonsense )

3 comments:

ayesha said...

Brilliant- i feel like i'm in the nursery with u! dint know u had a blog - ur writing's great:) sleep well. (posted post-call:) )Safi

ayesha said...

silly billy... u left your name logged on in the ICU comp :) ha ha i'm gona mess up ur page :) ha ha ha oh, stop it safiya, the nurses r lookin funny at u...

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant!